Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Ash Attempts: Nail Marbling!

Hiya!

I decided I would try my hand at the nail marbling craze that seems to be going round, or maybe it has been for ages and I have only just cottoned on. Now a small disclaimer - if you are expecting anything professional looking - you have definitely come to the wrong place - I tried my hardest but...it's bloody harder than it looks!

I used false nails as - much as I love the fun factor of these nails, I'm not sure I could get away with them in the office! I also thought it might be easier.



So, yea.... I got a bit carried away. At first it was due to my refusal to be beaten and then I just got a bit cocky, though when I looked back at the dried results I wasn't too sure why! I tried to put them in some semblance of an order in the above picture but it's not perfect.

As you can see - they all worked generally, but not all of them produced particuularly stunning results!

Just in case you're not sure how to go about marbling, here's how I did it

Find a suitable glass -  I first used a bowl but these don't work as well, I'm guessing it's due to the circumference, so I settled on using a pint glass but I'd go as far as to suggest using a smaller cup if you can - a polystyrene cup would be perfect.

Prepare to make a mess - I put an old pillow case down just in case and I'm really glad I did, I got a bit frazzled at times and some of my varnishes fell over and spilt - probably down to my own clumsyness but you can never be too careful! Plus, even though I was using fake nails, my hands still ended up like this: -


Get your nail ready - If you are planning to use fake nails like I did, get some masking tape and stick them to some sort of stick (I used a pencil). If you are using your own nails, cover your surrounding finger in masking tape to prevent getting covered!

Create your 'bullseye' - Chose your colours and just let a drop of nail varnish fall from the brush onto the surface of the water. Don't let it drop from too high as it then tends to sink and although it comes back up - it doesn't work as well. Repeat this step with the other colours in whatever order you like until you're happy with your bullseye. I didn't notice any varnishes not working particularly, though if the water needs changing some were a lot more difficult to work with.


This is using a Models Own barbie pink, as used in my matte 'caggie' nails here, and two Barry M polishes - I can't remember their names at the minute but at a guess I'd go for Neon Green and Betty Blues.

Create your pattern - This is the tricky bit. I used a sharp pencil to drag the bullseye from the outside in to the middle. You need to be careful not to go to deep to drag too strongly as it won't work properly. You also have to do this pretty quickly as you don't want the nail varnish to dry. I stupidly forgot to take a picture of this stage!
     

Dip in your nail - Obviously mine is attached to a pencil here. You need to dip it in evenlyand go as far into the water as you want. Then take your other pencil and swish it around the remaining nail varnish to get rid of it.

Pull your nail out....and admire - I was super lucky with this as I decided to take pics and this one actually turned out really well! The nails dry really quickly so you can remove it from the pencil almost immediately and leave it to completely dry while you get on with doing some more!
This is the bottom right nail on the larger picture

 
If you're interested in any of the colour combinations just ask in the comments!

So, would you try marbling? Would you wear the finished product?

Love love!

Ash xx







4 comments:

Miss EBlog said...

SO pretty!! I tried and failed this a couple of weeks ago xx

cornflakegirl said...

Love these, so pretty. Never tried it myself though.

Rox and Ash said...

Aww thanks guys, it is SO much more of faff than you expect!

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh... When I first read the article I was like, how am I missing out on nail varnishes that marble your nail (like the shatter) but no.... so much effort required! These are amazing though, Well done Ash x